If you are a newcomer to Canada, HMC Settlement Workers can provide you with a variety of services that you may require upon your arrival.
Multilingual Settlement Workers provide information and guidance on matters regarding accessing social services, education, health care, housing, employment, Immigration Applications and recreational facilities.
According to the Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants (OCASI): "Settlement is a long-term, two-way process through which, ideally, immigrants would achieve full equality and freedom of participation in society, and society would gain access to the full human resource potential in its immigrant communities. The settlement process can be viewed as a continuum, as newcomers move from acclimatization, to adaptation, to integration".
The services directed toward the short and long term settlement and adaptation needs of immigrants include:
- Group and individual orientation
- Assistance with basic needs
- Help in finding affordable housing
- Short term adjustment counselling
- Information on local resources and facilities
- Help with financial budgeting
- Interpretation and Translation for day to day immediate needs
- Information regarding rights, entitlements, responsibilities, education, health coverage, transportation and more
- Assistance with finding and enrolling in school or training programs
- Advocacy on behalf of the client with professionals (service provider, doctor, court, lawyer, etc.)
- Preparation for employment in Canada
- Assessing eligibility for social services and financial assistance
- Other activities which facilitate the settlement process
- Support with review of Immigration application
- Citizenship Workshops
- Parenting Information/Workshops
Through the combined expertise of our staff and volunteers, we are able to provide individual and group services in a variety of languages.
To access our Settlement Services, please call (905) 842-2486 ext. 221 and ask for an appointment with a Settlement Worker.
For more information, please contact:
Settlement Services Coordinator
(905) 842-2486 ext. 232